Working in the real estate world, I have heard about radon testing. But not everyone knows what it is, and some have never heard of it. Radon is a natural, radioactive gas that has no color and no odor. It forms by uranium breaking down. Uranium is found within soil and rock all around the world. Radon does not just stay in the ground, but it can get into the water and air. It is also present indoors and out. With Radon being naturally occurring all over, it can easily affect a household, public buildings, well water etc. Making it easy for adults and children alike to come into contact with it. Exposure to high levels of Radon over time have been linked to lung cancer.
Now, that we know that Radon exists and is a possibility (1 in 5 homes in TN test high for Radon), what can we do about it? For starters, the state of Tennessee is offering a free Radon test kit throughout the month of January. I have already ordered mine, it says that it will take 4-6 weeks to arrive. Here is the link to the request form: https://tdec.tn.gov/Radon_Online/frmRADON_Online.aspx
If your home tests low for Radon, you have nothing more to worry about. Since it is naturally occurring all around us, it is impossible to avoid it completely. If your home tests high for Radon (4.0 pCi/L or higher) you can retest (tests can be bought in hardware stores). If it is still high you should definitely work on getting that lower. It is recommended that a person get a qualified contractor through the state agency, EPA, to help. They have the proper training and equipment necessary to handle the situation. When doing it yourself, you run the risk of actually increasing your radon level or create other hazards and additional costs.