We have had a few frosty nights already, but it seems that Clarksville hasn’t had nothing yet. The coldest temperatures yet are heading our way. We may be cold now, but there is a arctic cold front that will be heading through tonight. How cold is cold? There is a possibility of -2, late tonight. Here are a few tips to help prepare you for this cold!
- If you have animals outside, bring them in if possible. If not possible, make sure they have a warm shelter (adding hay can provide warmth and insulation). Water bowls can freeze up quickly so remember to refill with fresh water often. MCACC has issued a cold weather safety warning for pets. Remember if it is too cold for a person to be outside, it is equally too cold for a pet.
- If you are planning on being outdoors, dress in layers. Make sure to cover exposed skin.
- Pipes can break during this weather since water expands when frozen. To avoid this problem, let faucets drip. If you have outdoor sprinklers make sure they are drained. Disconnect hoses, and cover the outdoor spigot with insulation. If you have pipes that run through unheated areas cover them with insulation as well.
- Change your heating filters regularly (if you have). A dirty filter makes your heating (and cooling) less efficient. Less efficient means less heat.
- If you use wood heat, make sure you have plenty on hand, just in case you need some extra.
- If you use propane heat, make sure you have enough to handle the extra cold.
- Clean out your gutters to prevent ice dams. If the gutters are clogged, the water can’t escape, and then will freeze. When it melts, it needs somewhere to go. The last thing you want is cold melted snow leaking through your roof.
- Make sure your windows and doors are sealed properly. You do not want that cold, arctic air coming in all the cracks.
- Have some helpful supplies on hand. Ice melt is great to keep those walkways from freezing solid.
Not everyone is able to handle the cold or has the means to do so. If you have elderly neighbors, check on them if you can. If you or someone you know is unable to heat their home, there is a warming center located at: Glory Worship Center, 1166 Fort Campbell Blvd. Clarksville.