Are you thinking about starting a garden? With the stay-at-home order, many people are turning to gardening. Whether you have always gardened, or just starting, here are some tips to keep your garden growing. Let me know your gardening tips and tricks.
- Soil matters – To learn about what your soil has, and what it needs, you can get a soil test done. If you don’t have the chance to do that, make sure that your soil has as much organic matters as possible. You can make your own compost or add bags of composted manure.
- Pick your trees wisely – Hopefully the trees you plant will be there for a long time. With that in mind, you don’t want to grow any trees that you may regret. When choosing your trees or shrubs, consider their future size, habit necessary to grow, is it susceptible to pests, etc.
- Sun needs – Make sure you have the proper plants (shrubs, trees, etc) for the area they will be in. Different plants need different amounts of sunlight. Some plants need full sun some need partial sun. If a spot receives at least 8 hours of sunlight, it will make a good vegetable garden, fruit trees and many flowers. Partial shade and full shade is ideal for ferns, small trees and perennials.
- Plant purchases – Do not buy unhealthy plants. Inspect the foliage and the roots. Try to purchase them shortly after they have arrived at the store. Consider buying seed and bulbs, but make sure you plant them in an area that is good for them.
- Seasons – If you want foliage for all the seasons, do not buy everything in the spring. You can find plants for all the seasons.