Did you know that 44% of house fires started in the kitchen? Of that 44%, 2/3 of the fires are because of food or other cooking items igniting. The good news is that those fires can be prevented. Here are some helpful tips on preventing those fires.
- Never leave your cooking food unattended.
- Turn off your stove if you have to leave.
- Use a timer to remind yourself you are cooking.
- Be alert when cooking.
- Have a smoke detector near/in the kitchen.
- Have a small kitchen fire extinguisher on hand.
- Keep a pan lid and oven mitt nearby (in case of small fires)
- Do not allow children within 3 feet of the stove, or other cooking device that is being used.
By following those simple rules, you are less likely to have a kitchen fire.